Monday, March 1, 2010

Things I learned from a pin cushion...


So I thought making a pin cushion would be super easy. A breeze.... Yeah, I was wrong. NOT so easy. Ok, it was a little easy, but it was also very frustrating! Here are a few things I learned:

1) Blind cutting a straight line is harder than it looks.
2) Make sure that fabric is facing the correct way BEFORE sewing.
3) Learn how to thread a sewing machine, both upper and lower bobbins. Otherwise be prepared for tangles when "wingin it."
4) When faced with tangles, and unsure of how to fix the problem, call Mom for help.
5) Swearing loudly at the sewing machine doesn't solve the problem.
6) Breathe. Then try again.
7) Don't get cocky when finally getting the hang of it- a new problem is sure to follow.
8) Keep a pair of scissors by the sewing machine at all times.
9) Having a scrap piece of fabric nearby the machine is very handy... it's very useful to see if thread problems have been fixed rather than testing on pin cushion.
10) Flaws just add more character.
11) There is nothing wrong with showing off the finished pin cushion with glee and excitement.
12) All finished sewing projects should be rewarded with chocolate.

Frustration aside, I was so giddy about successfully sewing my first pin cushion that I had to make another one... Especially since I made the first one for my fellow pin cushion swapper. It came a little bit easier the second time around, but I still have a lot to learn. Which makes me want to add one more to the list:

13) Sewing takes practice AND patience.

♥ jenn

6 comments:

DeAndra said...

I've been sewing for a few years and I still call my machine names! I hand stitched mine. Here's the one I did for the swap.

http://allinadaysdream.blogspot.com/2010/03/fun-spin-on-pincushion.html

and I'm sure your partner will LOVE all the hard work you put into it!

Jenn said...

Thanks! I'm waiting to post pictures of the one I sent my partner so it will be a surprise, and then I can post a picture of the one she sends me too. ;)

Nellie Mae said...

Haha! My thoughts exactly on any sort of sewing project!! ;-) Glad you got it done!!

Didi said...

So pretty!!! Whatcha gonna make next???

Jenn said...

I have no idea... I was thinking some sort of felt/mobile compartment for my camera so I can put it in my purse without it getting bumped around too much. Eek!

Unknown said...

I liked number 4. Just remember, you can always call.